The Test of Preschool Vocabulary (TOPV) is an easy-to-administer test that is appealing to preschoolers. The TOPV encourages children to share the words they know. The test measures children's ability to recognize (receive) and use (express) single words that represent all parts of speech and a variety of basic concepts (things, events, experiences, temporality, relational and substantive processes, and relative position). The words tested are ordered by difficulty level, progressing from familiar words and concepts to less familiar ones.
- Easy to learn and administer
- Naturalistic assessment method and high interest materials
- Easy comparison of receptive and expressive vocabulary skills
- Compact-easy to move from site to site
- Ideal for progress monitoring
- Items are appropriate for children of various ethnic, social and economic backgrounds