The applications of the Early SB-5 are generally identical to those of Standford-Binet Intelligence Scales - Fifth Edition (SB5). The primary difference is that Early SB-5 is streamlined for ages 2 to 5 years, covering the full range of abilities. However, for ages 6 to 7, professionals seeking a broad assessment of early intellectual giftedness should instead use the SB5.
- Provides a lower cost version of the SB-5 for preschool assessment
- Provides comprehensive coverage of five factors of cognitive ability
- Includes child-friendly toys/manipulatives
- Includes an entire nonverbal/low-verbal section that requires minimal verbal response from the examinee, useful for children with limited verbal English, hearing impairments, autism, and other expressive-language difficulties
- Offers low-end, easier items and toys for accurate measurement of low-functioning children
- Includes a Test Observation Checklist to document behavior during testing
- Offers a Parent Report to help facilitate communication with the child's parent, guardian, or caregiver