The Cognitive Assessment System, Second Edition (CAS2) is a norm-referenced measure of cognitive ability based on the well-researched cognitive/neuropsychological theory called PASS (Planning, Attention, Simultaneous, and Successive). The CAS2 was designed to measure cognitive processing abilities important for a broad range of differential diagnoses and instructional planning. CAS2 provides practitioners with a valid and reliable tool to evaluate children’s strengths and weaknesses in important areas of cognitive processing. Back to the top Scales & Forms
The CAS2 Extended Battery has three subtests in each of the four PASS scales. The Core Battery includes two subtests from each of the four PASS scales. Each PASS scale as well as the CAS2 Full Scale yields a standard score with a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 15.
- Planning—a cognitive process requiring the individual to determine, select, and use a strategy to solve a problem. The subtests require the solving of novel tasks. The three Planning subtests are: Planned Codes, Planned Connections, and Planned Number Matching.
- Attention—a cognitive process requiring the individual to selectively attend to a particular stimulus and inhibits attending to competing stimuli. The three Attention subtests are: Expressive Attention, Number Detection, and Receptive Attention.
- Simultaneous—a cognitive process involving integrating separate stimuli into a single whole or group. The three Simultaneous subtests are: Matrices, Verbal-Spatial Relations, and Figure Memory.
- Successive—a cognitive process requiring the serial ordering of things. The four Successive subtests are: Word Series, Sentence Repetition (ages 5-7) or Sentence Questions (ages 8-18), and Visual Digit Span.
The CAS2 also yields five supplemental composite scores: Executive Function without Working Memory, Executive Function with Working Memory, Working Memory, Verbal Content, and Nonverbal Content. A visual versus auditory comparison is also provided. Back to the top
The new PC, Mac™, and iPad™ compatible CAS2 Online Scoring and Report Writing program is an efficient and easy way to obtain CAS2 scores and corresponding narrative. Use CAS2 online for:
- Converting CAS2 subtest raw scores into standard scores, percentile ranks, descriptive terms, and age equivalents.
- Generating PASS and Full Scale composite scores.
- Comparing CAS2 subtest and PASS scale scores to identify significant intra-individual differences.
- Providing a pdf report of CAS2 performance.
- Providing intervention options.
- CAS2 Online Scoring and Report Writing first-time base subscription provides one-year unlimited online scoring and report access for up to 5 users.
- Annual base subscription renewal provides one-year unlimited online scoring and report access for up to 5 users.
- Add-on license provides access for up to 5 additional users. Add-on user license can only be purchased with a base subscription.
Back to the top
- Internet connection (broadband recommended)
- Internet Explorer 8 or higher, Firefox 10 or higher, Safari 4 or higher, Google Chrome 18 or higher